Monday, April 24, 2006

The Glowworm Caves of Wapui and my return to the Bay of Islands


Andy is working for the next two days and I decide that its time that I hit the road for a while and do some more of the Northlands. On the way I see a sign that saws Waupi Cave Walk 11 km. So I take a little detour down a dirt road and check out these really awesome caves. I take my big light and put on my paddling shoes as I will have to wade in the underground stream to follow the cave back. This cave contains the longest stalactite in NZ. It is also covered in glow worms that look like a galaxy when you turn off your lights. The cave is also covered in slick mud and although the paddling shoes are sure footed on reef they slip and slide on this mud. Although the area out side of the caves seem to be some sort of regional park there is no entry fee and it is all very un-touristy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home